Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sound Recordist


Do you know how to record a good sound? It’s a very important part of music and it fields. Every part like a Voice, Guitar, Drum, Keyboard, Flute and other musical instrument is very important in overall a song or music track. I was a best sound recordist in my country (Nepal). I worked almost 13 years in that sound industry. I really know how to record good, better and best sound at all. Based on my experience, I have three pieces of advice on how to be a good sound recordist.

                                      First of all, always remember there are three kinds of microphone we used; one is Dynamic other is Condenser and last one is Ribbon. If you are going to record a singer’s voice for a song you should use Condenser mic. If you want better quality in singer’s voice you must use Ribbon mic. But Ribbon mic is so expensive and more powerful than Condenser mic that’s why now every sound recordist work out with condenser mic, they didn’t use Ribbon mic. When you are recording a musical instrument never use a Condenser mic, always use a Dynamic mic for good sound. Because Condenser mic and Ribbon mic is more sensible than Dynamic mic. For example, one day I am recording a singer’s voice with Dynamic mic and I tried to many times but I couldn’t get his original voice, I need his every feeling with his breath but I am failed then I tried Condenser mic instantly I got his original voice. Another day I am recording a piece of guitar sound using condenser mic I got a terrible sound because its came unnecessary sound, like his hand/finger moving sound too. Then I used Dynamic mic I got fantastic sound.

                                      After that sound is a long process so you should use right placement for speaker or monitor, when you are going to record any music or voice you have to judge properly, if is right or wrong? If these speaker is not right place you never judge right decision. You shouldn’t hear properly. Means when you sitting beside the recording mixer, you must setup your speaker in front of your ear level, not too high or not too low. Also never fix your backside. When you are listening music/voice quality it’s also depend on speaker brand. If you are using branded and high amplitude monitor its always get good sound. Like JBL, Bose, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha etc. speakers. These company are always worries about quality of sound so they maintaining their feature at all time.

                                      At last when you are being good recordist you must know about recording devices. Analog recording system is always reliable and strong for any sound. But now a days everywhere sound recordist uses or they record through digital system. This is the easiest and fastest recording system. When you are going to record any music through digital system you should use a Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, Pro-Tools, M-Audio as a recording software. You can also direct record in Hard disk system because you don’t need any extra software. Audio companies are already made in built recording device system. For example, Pro-Tools and M-Audio company gives you two options, you can get either Pro-Tolls or M-Audio as a software only, also Hardware device (we called advanced Hard disk recording system). Just you need to follow their instruction.
            If you use these advices or follow my advice, you should be a good sound recordist in future

No comments:

Post a Comment